Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Ramblings

Sometimes, I have random thoughts. Those of you who know me well might say that my thoughts are random all the time. This is nothing new to me...my parents kept a book titled "Katieisms" when I was little. 'Nuff said. :)

Needless to say, I have things in my head that need to be said...or written...or whatever.

You're welcome.

To "scatter joy" is one of my life's goals. I feel like sometimes I do an ok job, and sometimes I fail miserably. For example...I shared a Mark Twain quote today about the dark side of the moon and the dark side of human nature (not the exact quote, but you get the point). One of my more astute students said, with a smile on his face, "Like you last week, right Ms. Kate? When you were so grouchy?" I had to smile, laugh a little, and agree--last week I was sick and I was probably a bit of a bear. Out of the mouths of babes, right?

On another note, I've started to wear a cloth napkin on my head. Now before you think me certifiable, hear me out. When I was little, almost every Saturday morning, my mom used to wrap my sister's and my heads up in do-rags, put on Bette Midler, James Taylor, or Bonnie Raitt, and we'd dance our way through the weekly cleaning of the house. I looked forward to that day all week long! We'd sing our hearts out and I'll never forget the joy I felt as long as I live. Having said that, I've had an old napkin of my mom's, one of the cloth napkins that was loving placed out on the table during every holiday meal, that I've been using as a cover for my rising bread dough. It used to be dark blue, but has faded to a lovely cadet blue and is covered in small pink, yellow, and baby blue flowers. 


This napkin makes me ridiculously happy. Isn't it so pretty?! I have honestly never asked my mom where it came from, who made it, or if she has any emotional attachment to it, and I probably should. I guess part of me just likes to think of it the way it is, the old napkin that only came out during special occasions and is now a part of my wardrobe. :) I have it folded in the way of a handkerchief and just wear it as a head covering on the weekends...usually when I'm cleaning the house. Carrying on a tradition, right?

Last ramble...We've had the strangest winter this year. When people think of Alaska and winter, they probably think below zero temps, blowing snow, ice, and fur hats. I.would.love.that! The last two winters have been really hard for us. It's been warm, windy, and not winter. Le sigh... It has made for some absolutely lovely tundra walks, though...




See what I mean? No snow makes for drably interesting colors and a happy dog. This means we get to chuck-it whenever he wants. :) Our little pup can't get enough of his chuck-it walks!

Welp...I think my ramble is over. Thanks for sticking with me. :) I hope your week is lovely and filled with good things.

Happy Tuesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment